Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey screen

Hi,

I'm on a iMac (27-inch, Late2012) with Catalina 10.15.5 and use a 'My Passport' for the Time Machine back-up - everything has been fine for years.

But the last few days on start-up I get a grey screen and nothing happens until I un-plug the 'My Passport', then life carries on as normal. I can plug it in again and do backups and everything is fine.

The Mac only has the original 2 memory modules and 2 empty ones.

Do I need to get a couple more memory modules?

If so which are best?

Many thanks

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:27 AM

I am surprised you have gotten as much life out of your Passport as you have as they have a very high failure rate. Good troubleshooting on your part, your WD drive is telling you it must be replaced. I would STRONGLY recommend using an OWC Mercury Elite Pro EHD to replace it, you can find them at www.macsales.com

If your computer is still operating with 8GB of RAM then I also strongly recommend upgrading to a minimum of 16GB. Because iMacs are very sensitive to using quality RAM please only use RAM from crucial.com or macsales.com. I would consider adding either 2 8GB DIMMs to the empty slots.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 9:27 AM in response to lihou

I am surprised you have gotten as much life out of your Passport as you have as they have a very high failure rate. Good troubleshooting on your part, your WD drive is telling you it must be replaced. I would STRONGLY recommend using an OWC Mercury Elite Pro EHD to replace it, you can find them at www.macsales.com

If your computer is still operating with 8GB of RAM then I also strongly recommend upgrading to a minimum of 16GB. Because iMacs are very sensitive to using quality RAM please only use RAM from crucial.com or macsales.com. I would consider adding either 2 8GB DIMMs to the empty slots.

Grey screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.