Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two user accounts on one MacBook Pro

I have just bought a MacBook Pro and would like to install two user accounts (1 for me and 1 for my wife) with access to our own seperate email addresses, contacts lists, notes, iTunes, iCloud accounts and apps linked to our own iPads and iPhones.

Is this possible. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 10:58 AM

Yes it is. Go to system preferences, Users & Groups, and click the '+' sign underneath the window that shows the current users. If the + is greyed out, click on the lock and enter your password (need to have Administrator rights to add user account).

2 replies

Jun 16, 2020 10:57 AM in response to Branchman999

That is exactly the way it is intended to work, and there is no way to work around that.

Each account is not simply a "profile" but a completely separate environment whose files are protected from all other users.

There is no "owner" of the computer, but Admin users have more rights to see and change more stuff. That said, there can be multiple Admin users.

Two user accounts on one MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.