Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS updates managed externally

I'm trying to update to Catalina 10.15.5, but it will not install. I'm also getting this message now: "updates for this Mac are managed externally." I'm guessing the two are related. I've selected restore defaults several times, to try and clear that message, but it won't go away. Anybody else experienced this, and if so, do you have a fix?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 3:43 PM

I don't know if this is the problem, but copy/paste this command into Terminal

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Enter your Admin password. Nothing will show when you type it in.

Another issue might be a a MDM Profile installed. Profiles are used by companies to manage computers they own or are connected to their networks. Check System Preferences to see if there is some sort of Profile installed.

There are reports of Adware installing Profiles to control your Mac.

If you think this is possible Adware, try using EtreCheck to find and remove it. You can also just try to ctrl-click on the Profile in System Preferences and choose the remove option (I'm not sure what it says).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 3:43 PM in response to WP-Patronus

I don't know if this is the problem, but copy/paste this command into Terminal

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Enter your Admin password. Nothing will show when you type it in.

Another issue might be a a MDM Profile installed. Profiles are used by companies to manage computers they own or are connected to their networks. Check System Preferences to see if there is some sort of Profile installed.

There are reports of Adware installing Profiles to control your Mac.

If you think this is possible Adware, try using EtreCheck to find and remove it. You can also just try to ctrl-click on the Profile in System Preferences and choose the remove option (I'm not sure what it says).

MacOS updates managed externally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.