Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule as Wi-Fi Extender + Backup

I recently stopped using my Time Capsule (purchased in late 2013 with recently updated firmware) as a Wi-Fi router, replacing it with a newer model Spectrum router. However, I would still like to use Time Capsule to backup my hard drive and as a Wi-Fi extender. How do I configure Time Capsule to do this? (iMac also purchased late 2013 mac OS Catalina 10.15.5)

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 4:38 PM

You can use the TC as a back up hard drive only as I mentioned in my first reply.

If you want to use the Spectrum WiFi to back up, the TC still needs to be connected to the Spectrum router using a short Ethernet cable. WiFi is turned off on the TC in this type of setup, so backups will go over the Spectrum WiFi.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but to use the TC with the Spectrum router, it will need to connect to the Spectrum device using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. No way around that, but the cable can be as long as you like, up to 100 meters.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 4:38 PM in response to dustdevil21

You can use the TC as a back up hard drive only as I mentioned in my first reply.

If you want to use the Spectrum WiFi to back up, the TC still needs to be connected to the Spectrum router using a short Ethernet cable. WiFi is turned off on the TC in this type of setup, so backups will go over the Spectrum WiFi.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but to use the TC with the Spectrum router, it will need to connect to the Spectrum device using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. No way around that, but the cable can be as long as you like, up to 100 meters.

Jun 16, 2020 4:30 PM in response to dustdevil21

Unfortunately, you are not going to like the answer........because Apple never designed the Time Capsule (TC)......using a WiFi connection...... to extend a WiFi network provided by a 3rd party router.

The TC will work as you want.......IF......the TC can remain connected to the Spectrum router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable from the TC location back to the Spectrum router, a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters might be able to accomplish the same goal by using the existing AC wiring in your home.

I emphasized the word "might" to mean just that. Powerline works OK in some homes and not others due to the different ways in which homes are wired. Adapters from one manufacturer might work OK in one home, but not in another home, or not work at all. There is no one size fits all, or one model that works well in all applications.

An Ethernet cable is a much better solution than trying to use adapters, but sometimes you just can't run the cable.

Post back if you need more details. Hopefully, you will be able to run the Ethernet cable.

If you cannot run the cable, and need to locate the TC close to the Spectrum router, you can use the TC as a back up hard drive only. It won't provide WiFi service at all in this type of setup.

Time Capsule as Wi-Fi Extender + Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.