Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay is Off with no option for turning On

I have a mid-2012 macbook pro and I have Airplay Display listed in my monitor section with a menu to turn it off or on, but only off is an option.

I haven't tried using it before, it used to be up in my menu bar (years ago) and isn't anymore. I'd like to use it with my ipad pro.

I'm on macOS Catalina 10.15.5

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Aaron

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 4:17 PM

5 replies

Jun 16, 2020 11:05 PM in response to odd-e-o

You are welcome.

Sidecar system requirements

Sidecar requires a compatible Mac using macOS Catalina and a compatible iPad using iPadOS 13:

Mac using macOS Catalina

• MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
  • MacBook introduced in 2016 or later
  • MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
  • iMac introduced in 2017 or later, plus iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac mini introduced in 2018 or later
  • Mac Pro introduced in 2019

iPad using iPadOS 13

More information on Sidecar here ➔ Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac.

Axel F.

Jun 16, 2020 10:18 PM in response to odd-e-o

There is nothing to fix because your AirPlay is working as intended. AirPlay can only be used with an Apple TV or with a Television that has the AirPlay capability. You cannot use AirPlay between macOS, iOS and iPadOS devices.

If you had an Apple TV or a Television with AirPlay capability then you would have seen the options to connect to those devices in the MacBook's AirPlay section.

Axel F.

Airplay is Off with no option for turning On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.