Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone SE not alerting when text message comes in when screen is locked.

My new iPhone SE is not alerting to incoming text message when screen is locked. No sound, no vibration. The switch on the side is up (on). If phone is active, then a tone sounds quietly.

In Settings: Text tone is chosen; iMessage ON; MMS Messaging ON; Sounds & Haptics 60% volume.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 9:42 AM

My short question did not mention that I just purchased and paired an Apple Watch. The answer is that Notifications for texts (etc.) come to the Watch, not the iPhone in most circumstances. It is not an option; it's just the way it is. A feature, not a bug, I guess. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204791

2 replies

Jun 20, 2020 8:10 AM in response to cscmt

Hi, cscmt.

Thank you for reaching out on the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you’re not hearing the text tone for your incoming messages on your iPhone when the screen is locked; however, you can hear it more quietly than others when your iPhone is in use. 

You mentioned that text tone is chosen in Settings; on which page are you seeing this? We’re asking because we don’t see this option in Settings > Notifications > Messages and we want to make sure we’re on the same page.

What happens if you change the sound to Telegraph (this is under Classic in alert tones) under the Sounds option in Notifications > Messages? Is it easier to hear? 

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers.

New iPhone SE not alerting when text message comes in when screen is locked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.