Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't use IPhoto update

with new macOS catalina update, IPhoto is unavailable, but i have all of photos there. Can i somehow use it again? Also before updating my mac i did not get any note that i won't be able to use the app. Please help me

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:00 AM

iPhoto is by now yesterday's snow. The development stopped five years ago, when Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store and new Macs came only with Photos instead of iPhoto.

You have probably missed the announcements. But when Catalina has been released last year, there have been several warnings about the incompatibility of iPhoto with Catalina because of the 32bit code, that is no longer supported, right on the top of this forum.

You should be able to open your iPhoto Libraries in the Photos for Mac application. It is a part of the system and the successor to Photos.

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

Photos should automatically open your last used iPhoto Library, when you launch Photos for Mac. If that does not happen, drag your iPhoto Library onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 6:00 AM in response to chickenwin

iPhoto is by now yesterday's snow. The development stopped five years ago, when Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store and new Macs came only with Photos instead of iPhoto.

You have probably missed the announcements. But when Catalina has been released last year, there have been several warnings about the incompatibility of iPhoto with Catalina because of the 32bit code, that is no longer supported, right on the top of this forum.

You should be able to open your iPhoto Libraries in the Photos for Mac application. It is a part of the system and the successor to Photos.

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

Photos should automatically open your last used iPhoto Library, when you launch Photos for Mac. If that does not happen, drag your iPhoto Library onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

can't use IPhoto update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.