Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 On a iMac G5 2.1 Ghz

Hey, I just bought a 2.1 Ghz iMac G5, and OS 9 is not installed, thus I mean Classic has no System Folder to boot off of and won't work at all. I have a 9.2.2 Installation Disc, but when I try to run the installer, it says the System Folder on the CD can not be used because the disk is Read Only, and that I should select a different System Folder. I tried copying the System Folder off the disk to my desktop then using that, but then Classic tells me that the System Folder can only be used on the original media, and not when copied to another drive. Is it possible for me to install Classic, or install OS 9 as a startup disk? Thank you very much.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.3), 2.1Ghz, 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Nov 29, 2005 5:42 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2005 7:12 PM in response to iJamo

Classic has no System Folder to boot off of...

Hi, iJamo. If you are hoping the iMac will be able to boot into OS 9, forget it: no G5 Mac of any description can do so. You can't use your OS 9.2.2 installer disk, because it can't boot the iMac.

A disk that came with your iMac contains a Classic installer. It will install a non-bootable OS 9.2.2 System Folder for use in running Classic apps under Tiger. The following article identifies the disk and gives basic instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86775

Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 On a iMac G5 2.1 Ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.