Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rename a computer

I will be migrating from an old iMac to a new iMac. Can I give the new iMac a different name than the old iMac or do I have to change the name of the old i Macto the new name before the migration? If so, how do I change the name?

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 9:54 AM

Yes, you can call an iMac whatever you want.

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click on Sharing.
  3. Click on the field Computer Name: at the top.
  4. Highlight the current name and enter a new one.
  5. Press enter or click anywhere in the window outside of the text field to set the new name.

3 replies

Jun 17, 2020 2:53 PM in response to clifford216

No not at all. When you do the migration, simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable to the new computer. Do this before the new computer is turned on for the first time. When you turn on the new computer it will startup Setup Assistant. SA will get to a point where it asked if you are migrating from another Mac, simply type YES and follow the on-screen prompts. This is the fastest, most reliable and easiest method!!! After the migration is done and you have the computer setup, then you can rename it if you want to.

rename a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.