Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import as one event?

Latest version of iMovie - I'm trying to import a movie from a dv camera via firewire, but the movie is cut up into lots of small separate events when importing.. some are only a few seconds each, which isn't ideal. How do I import my movie as one long event?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 12:55 PM

Try the record feature in QuickTime Player.

One long clip should result .

If OK then you will need to import into iMovie.

The Quality setting " HIGH" should be sufficient, but you could try Maximum if you want.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

4 replies

Jun 17, 2020 2:46 PM in response to tig66

I'm not sure, but I think if you import into QuickTimePlayer you will get one long event. If I'm wrong I of course will defer to others who may chime in. You might try a test with an abbreviated portion or your import.

Another way would be to import the multiple separate events into an iMovie project and then share out to merge them together into one long event.

-- Rich

Jun 17, 2020 11:24 PM in response to tig66

Rich is correct, the clips can be stitched together in the iMovie timeline.

You may already be aware that when DV tape is imported into iMovie you see a collection of multiple clips.

These individual clips coincide with the record start and stop points on the camcorder, these are called scene breaks, and are identified in iMovie by the timecode on the tape.

If you record for, say , 3 seconds, the imported clip will be 3 seconds.

If your very short clips do not coincide with start and stop points then this may be due to some other reason, such as dirty heads in the cam'.

So if the recording has had multiple start and stop points, then multiple clips will be imported.

Import as one event?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.