Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Imac

since I installed MS office on my imac about 2 years ago, the computer

runs slower then slow....any suggestions? I usually delete the cache,

and run cleaner, but soon enough it goes to slow process, slow start and

sometimes even hanging, and all this is not while using MS office

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 5:53 PM

So, did you turn on FileVault?

Encrypting or decrypting - A drive is currently encrypting or decrypting. The computer may run more slowly than normal until the process finishes.

Filevault state, open Terminal & paste these in & press enter…

fdesetup status

diskutil cs list | grep 'Conversion Progress'

Delete this file & restart...

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.plist

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 5:53 PM in response to Yoskke

So, did you turn on FileVault?

Encrypting or decrypting - A drive is currently encrypting or decrypting. The computer may run more slowly than normal until the process finishes.

Filevault state, open Terminal & paste these in & press enter…

fdesetup status

diskutil cs list | grep 'Conversion Progress'

Delete this file & restart...

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.plist

Jun 18, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Yoskke

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jun 17, 2020 12:48 PM in response to Yoskke

1) Uninstall the 'cleaner' using the manufacture's instructions. Those are notorious for causing new problems.

2) Stop worrying about the cache. Usually cache makes your machine run faster.

3) Reinstall or restore to an external USB 3 SSD (assuming you have a 2012-2019 21.5" iMac with a 5400rpm HDD).

4) If an external SSD isn't an option uninstall MS office, especially One Drive. Those poor 5400rpm drives can only just keep up with MacOS. When you run 3rd party auto-updaters, authenticators, and file-syncing in the background they start to become bottlenecks.

Optional: Run Etrecheck and post the results. (Use the 'additional text' post button next to 'insert image'). There may be other issues.

Slow Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.