Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable hard drive attachments for iPad

Hi, I have an iPad Air 2 and would like to know if I can use an adaptor to access my portable hard drive (WD elements), where I’ve stored travel photos etc.

thank you, Kayhlia

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:04 PM

Hello,

You will need Apple’s Lightning to USB 3 Adapter.

iPadOS 13 supports the following disk formats with a GUID partition scheme:

• macOS Extended journaled — YES Read and Write
  • APFS - NO
  • FAT32 — SOME*
  • exFAT — SOME**
  • NTFS — NO

*iPadOS 13 supports solid state devices formatted as FAT32 such as a SD card. iPadOS 13 does not supports mechanical hard disks formatted as FAT32.

** iPadOS 13 supports disks formatted as exFAT as long as it was formatted with Disk Utility on a Macintosh. The disk cannot be formatted by Windows.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 6:04 PM in response to kayhlia

Hello,

You will need Apple’s Lightning to USB 3 Adapter.

iPadOS 13 supports the following disk formats with a GUID partition scheme:

• macOS Extended journaled — YES Read and Write
  • APFS - NO
  • FAT32 — SOME*
  • exFAT — SOME**
  • NTFS — NO

*iPadOS 13 supports solid state devices formatted as FAT32 such as a SD card. iPadOS 13 does not supports mechanical hard disks formatted as FAT32.

** iPadOS 13 supports disks formatted as exFAT as long as it was formatted with Disk Utility on a Macintosh. The disk cannot be formatted by Windows.

Portable hard drive attachments for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.