Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime without an iPhone

Is it possible to use FaceTime without having an iPhone? More in particular; is it possible to use FaceTime only having an iPad?

I currently live abroad and video call quality of other providers is terrible, so I am considering buying and shipping to my family an iPad so I can call them over a higher quality and more reliable service. (Among other things, like they will like such a gadget!)

Is this possible? Should I simply ship an iPhone instead?

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 2:21 AM

If purchasing a device explicitly for FaceTime calls - and are purchasing the device abroad - be mindful that devices sold in some countries (in particular, many Middle East countries) do not permit installation and use of FaceTime.

Due to legal restrictions in these countries/regions, the iPad inhibits FaceTime. Exporting from the country of purchase does not remove the “burnt-in” restriction. If purchasing from US or European authorised retailers, the iPad will have access to all major functions - including FaceTime. If purchasing elsewhere, exercise due diligence.

I hope this additional information and forewarning is helpful to you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 2:21 AM in response to AlmondSmuggler

If purchasing a device explicitly for FaceTime calls - and are purchasing the device abroad - be mindful that devices sold in some countries (in particular, many Middle East countries) do not permit installation and use of FaceTime.

Due to legal restrictions in these countries/regions, the iPad inhibits FaceTime. Exporting from the country of purchase does not remove the “burnt-in” restriction. If purchasing from US or European authorised retailers, the iPad will have access to all major functions - including FaceTime. If purchasing elsewhere, exercise due diligence.

I hope this additional information and forewarning is helpful to you.

Jun 18, 2020 3:43 AM in response to AlmondSmuggler

Where you use the iPad doesn’t necessarily determine the availability of the FaceTime App; it is where the iPad is purchased that is the key to this restriction.

If purchasing within Europe, you should have any issues with using FaceTime.

The issue of FaceTime generally comes about with travellers who find some good duty-free prices when travelling through many Arab States - only to later find that FaceTime functionality is permanently denied on their “bargain” devices. Likewise, buyers accepting that use of FaceTime is prohibited within some countries, are equally surprised that FaceTime remains unavailable after exporting to other regions.

I hope this clarification adequately resolves any remaining concern.

FaceTime without an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.