Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased music DRM Protected?

I am trying to use a song purchased from iTunes in iMovie. My understanding from other threads is that music purchased after 2009 should be available, but a song I recently purchased is not showing up in my iTunes library accessed through iMovie. There is however a note saying "1 files are protected and unavailable." It is not clear to me whether that refers to one of the songs listed, or if the protected/unavailable title is not shown at all. If the latter, could that be my missing song? Are some titles purchased through iTunes after 2009 not available to iMovie, or have things changed? I am not talking about a song downloaded from Apple music, this is a song purchased for $1.29 from iTunes.

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 11:21 AM

Not necessarily all songs purchased from iTunes after 2009 are DRM free. Also, songs that involve Apple Music somewhere in the chain of acquisition and/or download to iTunes would be DRM protected. All Apple Music songs are DRM protected and that protection remains even if subsequently downloaded to iTunes.

To check on whether your particular song is DRM protected open your iTunes library and control-click on the song and from the drop down menu click on Song Info/File. Look under the heading "Kind" at the top of the Song Info/File display box. If it is protected it will say so. If unprotected there will be no mention.

Also, iMovie won't read songs that are in the Cloud, protected or not. If this particular song is in the Cloud then download it to your physical iTunes library and see if iMovie will read it.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 11:21 AM in response to emmett209

Not necessarily all songs purchased from iTunes after 2009 are DRM free. Also, songs that involve Apple Music somewhere in the chain of acquisition and/or download to iTunes would be DRM protected. All Apple Music songs are DRM protected and that protection remains even if subsequently downloaded to iTunes.

To check on whether your particular song is DRM protected open your iTunes library and control-click on the song and from the drop down menu click on Song Info/File. Look under the heading "Kind" at the top of the Song Info/File display box. If it is protected it will say so. If unprotected there will be no mention.

Also, iMovie won't read songs that are in the Cloud, protected or not. If this particular song is in the Cloud then download it to your physical iTunes library and see if iMovie will read it.

-- Rich

Purchased music DRM Protected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.