Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Airport Express to internet via Ethernet

I have an Airport Express in an outside room - connected via ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme in the main house. (I have another Express doing the same job in a different part of the house off the same Extreme)

The purpose of the Express is to provide good seamless wi-fi and internet connectivity in the outside room. It is set up to 'create a wireless network' using the same network name, password and security as the Extreme inside. It worked perfectly for months until suddenly it stopped. (Amber light. No internet connection)

Cycled power and no change.

Next assumption was faulty Express. So I took the Express inside and connected it to another ethernet cable direct from the Extreme and it worked fine.

So then I assumed it must be the cable to the outside room. I therefore ignored the Express and plugged the ethernet cable directly in to my Macbook via thunderbolt, turned off wi-fi on the macbook and was able to get an internet connection via thunderbolt and the ethernet cable without problems. Cable seems OK then?

Baffled now.

Tried resetting the original Express. No luck.

Tried a second Airport Express in the outside room. Didn't work. Same issue

I cant understand why the Express works using one cable but then not with a different one in a different place

Is it possible that a faulty ethernet cable could work for my Macbook, but not for the Express?

Is the relative positioning of the extreme and the airport expresses relevant?

Any help would be appreciated. Replacing the ethernet cable is a last resort and will avoid lifting paving etc.

Thank you

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 12:25 PM

Did you power off the AirPort Extreme, leave it off a few minutes, then power it up again? If not, that would be worth a try. If you still have the same issues, then it does look like a problem with the Ethernet cable.

Is it possible that a faulty ethernet cable could work for my Macbook, but not for the Express?

Yes. The MacBook likely only needs 4 of the 8 connectors on the Ethernet port to work correctly (at a reduced speed). The Express needs all 8 connections to work correctly..

Hopefully, there is not a break in one of the conductors within the cable and simply removing and reinstalling the Ethernet connectors again may get things working.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 12:25 PM in response to JSchwell24

Did you power off the AirPort Extreme, leave it off a few minutes, then power it up again? If not, that would be worth a try. If you still have the same issues, then it does look like a problem with the Ethernet cable.

Yes. The MacBook likely only needs 4 of the 8 connectors on the Ethernet port to work correctly (at a reduced speed). The Express needs all 8 connections to work correctly..

Hopefully, there is not a break in one of the conductors within the cable and simply removing and reinstalling the Ethernet connectors again may get things working.

Jun 19, 2020 5:15 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you so much Bob - that solved my issue. I eventually found that the order of two of the conductors in one of the connectors was switched. Reinstalling the connector solved the problem.

I still don't understand why it worked for so long and then stopped - but I am not worrying about that now because it is all working.

Thank you once again.

Connecting Airport Express to internet via Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.