Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

createinstallmedia on large usb drive

I've got a 256GB usb drive. I wanted to keep various versions of recent OSs on it, but as I read the createinstallmedia, that's not possible, because DU can't partition the flash drive. This mean I'd basically waste most of the drive? Any way to partition the flash drive?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 2:31 PM

createinstallmedia will always first erase the drive. So no, you can't partition it to put multiple versions of OS installers on it.

Smaller USB drives are cheap. I used 8 GB ones for any OS from Lion through Mojave. You need a 16 GB drive for Catalina since the installer itself is larger than 8 GB.

4 replies

Jun 18, 2020 3:03 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Yeah. I've been in this business for 30 - 40 years. I certainly have every 3.5" disk and I'm pretty sure I've got original 5 1/4" for Apple II+ or the OS/2 machine I built way-back-when stored somewhere around here. You're right - I was going to set up parallels vm of the older os's - but every time I erase something like that I've come to regret it. Thanks for the confirmation - I was just hoping it would erase/format a partition. Oh well.

createinstallmedia on large usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.