Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer all imessages and messages to a new iphone

How do I transfer messages from my current iphone to a new iphone? I am not sure since I just read on this article that data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages won't be backed up using itunes or the backups we create using icloud on our phone? I am confused. Please help! Thanks much in advance!

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 4:58 PM

When you use iCloud sync for messages, it will store media on the cloud (full-res versions are offloaded from the device to save space). In this case, for iTunes backup, texts will be included in the backup but media will be accessible only after you'll turn on iCloud sync for messages.

For iCloud backups, if you use cloud sync for some data set, say photos, they won't be included in the backup as they are already stored on iCloud. To transfer them, simply turn on cloud sync for this data on a new phone and leave it charging with Wi-Fi for some time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Caimito

When you use iCloud sync for messages, it will store media on the cloud (full-res versions are offloaded from the device to save space). In this case, for iTunes backup, texts will be included in the backup but media will be accessible only after you'll turn on iCloud sync for messages.

For iCloud backups, if you use cloud sync for some data set, say photos, they won't be included in the backup as they are already stored on iCloud. To transfer them, simply turn on cloud sync for this data on a new phone and leave it charging with Wi-Fi for some time.

How do I transfer all imessages and messages to a new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.