Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping the time/date of photo when downloading from iCloud

When downloading photos from iCloud, how do you retain the time/date of when the photo was taken (to show in FINDER, Lightroom, etc).

Once images are downloaded, they only show the date it was downloaded.. and then import into Lightroom organized by that date.. and not the date they were taken.

When I'm mixing iPhone photos with my main camera (with time/date set).. there is no organization to have them appear in order of time and date.

This is super frustrating. Please help!

Thank you so much!

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 1:10 AM

4 replies

Jun 19, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for your quick reply!

Well.. that's helpful! No there is not a reason.. I thought that was the only way to get my images on the computer without having to Airdrop them..

I haven't been using the photo library on my Mac since I import into Lightroom and didn't realize that the images were syncing also to the photo library on my mac (in addition to iCloud.com)... Duh. Thank you for pointing that out!

So now a question is making sure the file size is the largest size.. when I opened a test image in Photoshop it's giving me the dimensions 40 x 55 inches at 72 dpi.. how would you convert this to 300 dpi for printing purposes?

Also, if I alter the image with color on my phone.. is there a way to also download the original unedited file?

Main question... What are the best settings to export the images that are being downloaded to ensure they contain the original date as well as the highest quality image? (as well as be in specific folders instead of downloading a bunch of images uncategorized?)

Thank you so much for your help!

Jun 19, 2020 4:53 PM in response to mcf2020

So now a question is making sure the file size is the largest size.. when I opened a test image in Photoshop it's giving me the dimensions 40 x 55 inches at 72 dpi.. how would you convert this to 300 dpi for printing purposes?

DPI is a term that only relates to printed images, when it comes to digital imagery folks may refer to PPI pixels per inch, but it's really an invalid terminology. An image will have a dimension in pixels which will result in a differing concentration of pixels when displayed at differing sizes. So for example, if your image is 3000 pixels wide by 2000 high, just ensure you don't print it to paper at a size of more than ten inches wide (10 x 300dpi = 3000). In other words there is no conversion necessary, but you need to be conscious of your printed size.

Also, if I alter the image with color on my phone.. is there a way to also download the original unedited file

Not exactly, but edits are non destructive, so after the edited image as synced to your Mac you could duplicate it and revert to original

Main question... What are the best settings to export the images that are being downloaded to ensure they contain the original date as well as the highest quality image? (as well as be in specific folders instead of downloading a bunch of images uncategorized?)

This isn't something I do, so someone might have a better answer. Photos taken on the phone are taken in HEIC format, they take up as much room as about a jpeg at high quality, but if you export to a jpeg at high quality the quality is reported to be lower. You can export synced images in photos to jpeg high quality simply by dragging them to the desktop of your mac. If you want to convert to a jpeg of comparable quality to the original you should select maximum quality from the manual setting you can access when you choose to export photos using the export option from the file menu.

Jun 19, 2020 5:22 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks so much for your quick replies!

After some trial and error, I found that exporting via 'export unmodified original' is the best way to keep the date and time and exporting with a subfolder to keep organized by moment and date as well... all via the 'Photo Library' on the Mac.

I also tried dragging to desktop but it doesn't save the original date.

Thanks again for your help!

Keeping the time/date of photo when downloading from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.