Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2018 lid won't close

I have been working from home for 2+ months. The MacBook Pro stays open on a cooling pad , connecting to two Dell Monitors via USBC. 95% of the time the lid stays open. Suddenly yesterday I tried to close it but unable to do so. Feels like stuck at the position showing in the image.

I can’t see any clear signs of swollen battery . The battery cycle is only 118 and health is 91%. Apple website says my model is not eligible for the 15 inch MBP battery recall program. Mine was purchased on early 2018 during the release.

Called Apple support and it is useless but scheduled a service next Friday. I am now not sure if I should continue to use it until next Friday. But I may have to backup some data. Any help or knowledge will be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 6:29 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jun 19, 2020 7:08 AM in response to Flint12138

Well it is definitly some Hardware thing that needs to be looked at. Im guessing that the hinge mechanism has an issue in the inside, since Im guessing (and cant see) anything between the Display and the Keyboard. So that remains the only other thing.

In regards of wether or not to use: Id say to go ahead and make your Backup. I don't think that an issue with the hinge should cause more hardware problems that should stop you from using it. Especially if there aren't things happening like heating up extremely, Display issues, constant freezing or low performance.

Sam

MacBook Pro 2018 lid won't close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.