Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch for my daughter- who only has an ipod touch

She has saved her money to buy a watch with cellular. Can she use her ipod touch (no data, only wireless set up) to set up her watch? If not what other option would we have (she is 10 and I don't want her to have a full iphone yet)

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 7:08 AM

You can but there can only be one active watch at a time.

If hers were to be active then it would get all of your texts, calls and messages and other notifications and it will use your cell number and on your plan. Her friends will have to call your number, she will not have her own. When not active she will not get any calls, messages etc... making it an expensive clock.

When her watch would be active, your watch would not be like an overprice clock to you.

I don't think this is what you want.

It is one phone one person type thing, the watch is tied to this one phone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 7:08 AM in response to claudine177

You can but there can only be one active watch at a time.

If hers were to be active then it would get all of your texts, calls and messages and other notifications and it will use your cell number and on your plan. Her friends will have to call your number, she will not have her own. When not active she will not get any calls, messages etc... making it an expensive clock.

When her watch would be active, your watch would not be like an overprice clock to you.

I don't think this is what you want.

It is one phone one person type thing, the watch is tied to this one phone.

Jun 19, 2020 3:55 PM in response to claudine177

I do not recommend it, but if your iPhone supports Dual SIMs (the 2nd being an eSIM) And your carrier supports the eSIM with the Apple Watch, you might be able to get a 2nd phone line and pair your daughter's Apple Watch to the 2nd line.

But if you also own an Apple Watch, I do not think you can have 2 Apple Watches concurrently paired to an iPhone (sequentially yes, but I do not thing concurrently).

Use Dual SIM iPhone with Apple Watch cellular models

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-apple-watch-with-dual-sim-iphone-apd641d0e7f1/watchos

Use Dual SIM with Apple Watch GPS + Cellular models

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209043

Apple Watch for my daughter- who only has an ipod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.