Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning port retention wings broke, is it a problem

My son came to me this morning saying that my (his) iPad won't plug in. I tried the lighting cable and it wouldn't go in the port at all. Expecting lint I used a toothpick to clean it out. It looked clean but knowing that it can get jammed in there I cleaned all around, but not that hard. Well not long into the process these 2 metal pieces flew out. The best I can figure it's part of the mechanism that go into the retention divots on the cable. Something like this from an iPhone 5 teardown.

The cable fits now, charges, and actually holds in the port just fine.

Here is a picture of the actual metal pieces.

Does anyone know if this is used in grounding for the cable (pinout lists pin 1 as the ground so I don't think so) and if it's ok to keep using? Should I have someone at the Apple Store look at it?

Thanks

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 10:25 AM

It’s difficult to identify the function of the items in your photo. That said, it is largely irrelevant - as the Lightning port has suffered damage requiring complete replacement of the connector.

Apple do not offer “repairs” for iPad - but instead offer a chargeable out-of-waranty exchange programme for qualifying devices.

The typical cost is frequently reported to be approximately 60% of the “as new” cost of your iPad. If available, the exchange will be for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 10:25 AM in response to Jeffrey Stonebraker

It’s difficult to identify the function of the items in your photo. That said, it is largely irrelevant - as the Lightning port has suffered damage requiring complete replacement of the connector.

Apple do not offer “repairs” for iPad - but instead offer a chargeable out-of-waranty exchange programme for qualifying devices.

The typical cost is frequently reported to be approximately 60% of the “as new” cost of your iPad. If available, the exchange will be for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification.

Lightning port retention wings broke, is it a problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.