Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounted/unrecognized external drive

I'm trying to backup my Mac desktop using an Iomega 1T drive connected by a USB. The drive is not recognized in Time Machine. When I go to the disk utility, I can see the device, but it won't mount. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Perplexed in Pennsy.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 11:36 AM

Have you formatted the drive mac OS Extended and GUID partition scheme? You can try to mount it, and/or partition and/or erase to get it to mount it. You should erase it anyway because most external drives are either formatted for Windows and/or have unnecessary software on them - an external drive does not need anything on it in order to function.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 11:36 AM in response to owlsfan85

Have you formatted the drive mac OS Extended and GUID partition scheme? You can try to mount it, and/or partition and/or erase to get it to mount it. You should erase it anyway because most external drives are either formatted for Windows and/or have unnecessary software on them - an external drive does not need anything on it in order to function.

Mounted/unrecognized external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.