Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot activate iPhone after restore

I restored this perfectly working iPhone 6 to give it to my mother in law - and now it's stuck trying to activate.

I spoke to Apple Support, went to the Genius Bar - no luck; the phone is stuck at

"Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached."

Now, if nothing else, this is a very misleading error message.

I checked the console logs, and it looks like the process is having some problems getting information from the phone:

The mobileactivationd process says:

Invalid equipmentInfo

and also

No IMEI in CT mobile equipment info dictionary

When I went to the Apple Store Genius Bar the resident genius told me that the iPhone was purchased in the US, which was unusual, but it's possible I got it from some reseller (he also said the display was non-standard). So maybe it was the fact that it was not a 'standard' iPhone from Apple that's causing these issues - but it would be nice to find out more about why this is happening - the iPhone was working perfectly fine for 5 years before the reset !!

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Patrick

iPhone 6

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 8:33 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2020 1:42 AM in response to LD150

I am in Australia but I think the iPhone has some chequered history, probably a refurbished model purchased via a retailer (not directly from Apple), which may contribute to the problem. The way I read the console log the activation process needs the IMEI, but for some reason cannot get it from the phone, which is why the whole process falls over. Why this happens - no idea. The phone has a valid IMEI number on the back and Apple confirmed the iPhone's serial number for me.

Jun 21, 2020 3:01 AM in response to patsch06

Can you try the SIM that it had in it for 5 years just to activate it? You can swap SIMs afterwards and reset network settings, turn imessage off then on, log out of Facetime then back in. Bit of a faff but if the other SIM is bad it will tell you

PS I don't see IMEI on back of any of my phones (British)

Cannot activate iPhone after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.