Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Journal to APFS. What about backed up data?

After starting the proces of upgrading my OS to Catalina, I have got an information that I could not do that because „This volume is not formatted as APFS”. I know how to convert it from Journal to APFS.

But I have a question. 

I have read that „APFS format is not backwards compatible with older version file systems.„. 

As far as I know, changing the format from Journal to APFS will erase all my data.

How does it relate to all my files and settings which I have backed up in Journal format using Time Machine? Will I be able to load (put back on my computer) them from a hard drive after changing to APFS without any harm? If not, how to handle this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 9:21 AM

BackB wrote:

After starting the proces of upgrading my OS to Catalina, I have got an information that I could not do that because „This volume is not formatted as APFS”. I know how to convert it from Journal to APFS.

But I have a question. 

I have read that „APFS format is not backwards compatible with older version file systems.„. 
As far as I know, changing the format from Journal to APFS will erase all my data.

How does it relate to all my files and settings which I have backed up in Journal format using Time Machine? Will I be able to load (put back on my computer) them from a hard drive after changing to APFS without any harm? If not, how to handle this problem?

I never had an issue HFS+ convert to APFS on the fly. It is surprisingly fast an easy conversion.

Apple provides non-destructive methods for start-up disk drives for APFS conversion, and hence no data (files or folders) will be lost. 

As a side note:

On the other hand, APFS formatting will erase all the files and folders stored on the external hard drive. If not backed up earlier, APFS formatting on the external drive will cause data loss. Even with the start-up drive, one may delete or lose files from the APFS formatted media.

How to Upgrade to APFS if Not Done in macOS High Sierra Installer - The Mac Observer

Non-Destructive APFS Conversion

Restart the Mac into Recovery Mode.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Launch Disk utility.

Click-select your named boot volume—the default name is "Macintosh HD" —(Not the physical drive above it.)

In the Disk Utility> Edit menu> select “Convert to APFS"

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 9:21 AM in response to BackB

BackB wrote:

But I have a question. 

I never had an issue HFS+ convert to APFS on the fly. It is surprisingly fast an easy conversion.

Apple provides non-destructive methods for start-up disk drives for APFS conversion, and hence no data (files or folders) will be lost. 

As a side note:

On the other hand, APFS formatting will erase all the files and folders stored on the external hard drive. If not backed up earlier, APFS formatting on the external drive will cause data loss. Even with the start-up drive, one may delete or lose files from the APFS formatted media.

How to Upgrade to APFS if Not Done in macOS High Sierra Installer - The Mac Observer

Non-Destructive APFS Conversion

Restart the Mac into Recovery Mode.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Launch Disk utility.

Click-select your named boot volume—the default name is "Macintosh HD" —(Not the physical drive above it.)

In the Disk Utility> Edit menu> select “Convert to APFS"

Jun 20, 2020 2:10 PM in response to BackB

Of course APFS can read and write to HFS+ disks and data. So if you convert your internal drive to APFS

you will not lose your data.

What OS are you on now, your profile says 10.14 which is Mojave and that should be APFS anyway.

Apple has designed the APFS file system to install over your existing HFS+ data without erasing or making your data

unreadable.

However if you upgrade to Catalina which must run on APFS and you need to restore things from a Time Machine backup

do not restore System files or Library files as this will try and put the old system back on. So only restore your own data.

Apple still recommend that any external drives connected to a mac still run Mac OS Extended (Journaled (HFS+).

Jun 21, 2020 4:41 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you very much!

I am on Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95). I know that it should be APFS but, unfortunately, it is not. I don't know why.

Eau Rouge wrote:
However if you upgrade to Catalina which must run on APFS and you need to restore things from a Time Machine backup do not restore System files or Library files as this will try and put the old system back on. So only restore your own data.

Ok. I will do it this way. Will there be something like check boxes with labels like "System files", "Library files" etc.?

Will it keep my desktop settings, personal data like passwords etc.?

From Journal to APFS. What about backed up data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.