Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to recover data from a mac mini late 2012 that will not boot

my mac suddenly froze out of nowhere, all but the mouse. i rebooted and got the prohibitory symbol. i cannot go into safe mode, but i can go into recovery mode. i ran first aid on my disks and it came back with no errors.

i tried firewire to connect it to another mac of the same model, and it shows up in disk utility but not on my desktop. (did i not wait long enough?)

i have considered reinstalling the macOS (mojave) but i want to make sure it doesnt damage my data. i could make a backup image of the internal disk (APPLE SSD SM128E Media) and store it on an external drive, but i dont understand what this disk is- it shows a capacity of 121.33 GB and no other info, whereas i believe it should be 1TB?

i have also considered removing the hard drive entirely and connecting it to another mac.

all i want is to recover all my files without erasing anything. i do not have a time machine backup. please help me with my next step

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 4:49 PM

thank you for all answers and help! but upon opening the computer up to try to use the drive externally, we found out that the connection to the hard drive had come loose. plugged it back in and everything is 100% fine. regardless i am backing everything up now and will continue to do so with more frequency in the future. this computer is refurbished, so maybe that is at fault?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 4:49 PM in response to space34

thank you for all answers and help! but upon opening the computer up to try to use the drive externally, we found out that the connection to the hard drive had come loose. plugged it back in and everything is 100% fine. regardless i am backing everything up now and will continue to do so with more frequency in the future. this computer is refurbished, so maybe that is at fault?

Jun 21, 2020 12:07 AM in response to space34

Perhaps you should try the seemingly failed smaller capacity storage drive

in an Enclosure, to help determine its fate? Maybe the original full capacity

of this drive included a larger component; largely gone 'invisible'..?

Was small SSD, a portion of 'Fusion' drive, which could no longer be accessible??

Sometimes the 'split' portion may be totally missing; or sometimes, it's visable.

• About Fusion Drive, a storage option for some Mac computers - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202574

• How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

If it was a Fusion drive, two parts in one case; the rotational part could have

totally failed; leaving the solid-state portion, in limbo. (So likely, its toast.)

The drive could be removed from Mac mini and placed in an external enclosure

that can support a boot-capable hard drive; not a simple basic USB, but powered.

Some recovery efforts have been successful going this route; as read-only of data.

At least perhaps files maybe found, and saved to another storage drive.

[A new drive for the Mini mac could be prepared for transplant into Mac using

a tested known good external enclosure, too. Sometimes its harder to install a

newer macOS version into external, inside the enclosure.]

Anyway, since I have one of these Late 2012 Mac Mini (i7 quad/dual HDD server)

which has both original 5400-RPM 1-TB drives; & three Mac systems on partitions.

I've balked on upgrading from stock; between other real world issues, but should.

Good luck on a path with repair/replacement, to recover usefulness!🌞🎣

how to recover data from a mac mini late 2012 that will not boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.