Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!! How do I fix a hydrochloric acid stain on my macbook pro cover

I have stupidly splashed some hydrochloric acid on my new 2020 Macbook Pro... I am devastated! Please does anyone know of a way to remove the discolouration (it has lightened the aluminium cover in spots) .. perhaps vinegar and bi-carb? Please.. please help. Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 8:23 AM

Vinegar is an acid too. Expect it to make things worse. Aluminum is easily damaged by acids and other chemically active substances like sodium bicarbonate.

Outside of paying for a complete new top assembly at tUS$500-600, the most cost solution is an attractive sticker over the damage.

6 replies

Jun 21, 2020 8:00 AM in response to sirius_knight

That is not a stain. The cover is Anodized aluminum, and Hydrochloric Acid likely caused a chemical reaction.

If Space Gray, the only hider is to paint it black with a Sharpie pen.

If silver-colored Aluminum, go back to your books and figure out how to put aluminum chloride into solution, [or use Ammonia, the active chemical in most Metal polishes, including Silver and Aluminum polish]. That will not return the anodizing, so the texture and sheen will never match perfectly.

HELP!! How do I fix a hydrochloric acid stain on my macbook pro cover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.