Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Service battery warning.

I have a mid 2010, 15inch, Macbook Pro. Just a few days ago I received the service battery warning and due to it my battery life has reduced by quite a bit. I am only able to use it for about 3 hours before I'm required to charge it back up again. Although my Macbook is quite old I'd like to eliminate all the other reasons before replacing its battery. I have tried resetting the SMC by shift+control+option keys and holding the power button but the warning still remained. I've tried recalibrating the battery and the warning did go away but just for few mins before returning. Using coconut battery I was surprised to see that the design capacity level had increased from 73% to 77%, so I might try the process again even if it is quite lengthy. I need helping getting rid of the warning and stopping the battery drain and would like to know all my possible options before needing to replace the battery.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 7:32 AM

When the battery is nearing the end of its useful life, it’s normal for it to fluctuate above and below 80% health. Given the age of your battery, failure is to be expected at this point. The good news is that unless the amount of charge it holds does not meet your portability needs, you can continue using it safely. If you need more runtime on battery, you’ll need to buy a new one.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 7:32 AM in response to AmmarK.

When the battery is nearing the end of its useful life, it’s normal for it to fluctuate above and below 80% health. Given the age of your battery, failure is to be expected at this point. The good news is that unless the amount of charge it holds does not meet your portability needs, you can continue using it safely. If you need more runtime on battery, you’ll need to buy a new one.

Macbook Pro Service battery warning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.