Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insert edits not working here in FCPX 10.4.8

I’ve tried dragging and dropping a video and photo from the browser to the timeline but no insertion area opens and there is no ripple. Instead, either the insert or one or both adjacent clips move to a second row above the existing timeline. When I copy (C) the clip and use W or the insert icon (left side of timeline toolbar), the clip is inserted in the AUDIO part of the timeline, breaking the audio for the duration of the video or photo inserted. I set preferences back to the defaults and this made no difference. Any idea what the problem is and how I might fix it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 1:07 PM

Just as expected, you have video connected to audio in the primary. Select the connected clips and press command-G to create a secondary storyline. Then you will be able to drag and have all the “magnetic” properties you are expecting.

Similar questions

4 replies

Insert edits not working here in FCPX 10.4.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.