You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Already imported photos showing as new photos when importing from iPhone

A couple of months ago Photos on my Mac suddenly labelled several hundred photos on iPhone as new even though they have already been imported.

The number varies, but it's the same photos going back over 6-7 years.

Any ideas how to mark these as imported so it doesn't try and reimport them every time?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 10:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 12:09 PM

JM m wrote:

My phone is set to take pictures HEIC ( I can't see how you control which format of photo is imported in Photos on the Mac).

This is controlled in the "Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC" on the iPhone. If this is set to "Keep Originals" the images will transferred in their original format, and if you enable "Most Compatible" the photos may be converted. Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2020 12:09 PM in response to JM m

JM m wrote:

My phone is set to take pictures HEIC ( I can't see how you control which format of photo is imported in Photos on the Mac).

This is controlled in the "Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC" on the iPhone. If this is set to "Keep Originals" the images will transferred in their original format, and if you enable "Most Compatible" the photos may be converted. Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Jun 21, 2020 1:19 PM in response to JM m

Is your iPhone set to take the photos in the High efficiency format (in Settings > Camera)? And are you importing the photos from the iPhone in a more compatible format? Then the HEIC formats on the iPhone will always be appearing as new photos, unless you delete them from the iPhone or import the HEIC versions. It is easier avoid mixed settings n the iPhone. If you are capturing HEIC images, import them as HEIC. If you prefer JPEGs and do. to mind the extra storage required for JPEGs, set the camera to take the larger JPEGs.

Jun 22, 2020 5:49 AM in response to léonie

The photos affected date back many years before HEIC was introduced so many of them will be JPEGs. This behaviour suddenly appeared a while back I *think* after an iOS or MacOS point upgrade, so I do wonder if something got corrupted..

Oddly in Photos on the Mac the actual new photos to import can be easily spotted as they are grey instead of showing a preview of the actual image

Already imported photos showing as new photos when importing from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.