Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari can’t open the page because Safari can’t establish a secure connection

A friend has started having a problem on her Mac connecting to certain web sites that she has connected to many times in the past. The Mac throws up this error…

I tried to help me by changing her DNS servers from Open DNS to Google’s. No solution.

I used Firefox to find out what the host servers were and changed the Trust settings on those certificates to Always in Keychain. No luck.

I removed the cookies and cache data associated with the sites. Restarted Safari. Nope.

I tried changing the settings in iPv6 to manual but the fields didn’t automatically populate with the Router, iPv6 Address and Prefix Length so it wouldn’t let him proceed and had to cancel.

She is running an older iMac, Yosemite, Safari 10.1.2. Upgrading to a new OS isn't a desirable option because she is using quite a bit of older software that would be rendered useless.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks, Welles

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 1:42 PM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 1:42 PM in response to Welles Goodrich

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Jun 23, 2020 8:28 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

I tried out your suggestions yesterday. The problem still occurred in Safe mode and a new Administrator account. So I ran Etrecheck. Here's the report.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60iyecxo7mp3vma/EtreCheckReportpdf.pdf?dl=0

I noticed the anti-virus info you asked about in the report but had forgotten to look for it myself.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look to see if anything pops out I'd be appreciative. My last two strategies are to run DiskWarrior (just because I've kept up with the latest since the late 1990's and it can't hurt). After that the only thing I can think of is to boot into recovery mode, use Disk Utility and run first aid just to see if anything gets fixed, repair permissions and then run the reinstall OS.

If you have any other suggestions I'm open for guidance. Thanks!

Welles

Jul 9, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Welles Goodrich

That was going to be my "fix" for the problem but I cant find anything I can update to. I am running yosemite. Havent been offerred any further updated OS from Apple, so I havent done any. Really didnt need to until this issue with Safari came up. I dont want to change servers, I like Safari. Cant just update it though. Any links to any OS updates that are compatible with a mid 2010 macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.