Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an iPod Classic to a 2019 MAcBook Pro 16 Inch

I have just upgraded my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) to a 2019 16 Inch model and I would love to be able to continue to use my 160 GB iPod Classic. Can anyone help me do this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 5:39 PM

2 replies

Jun 22, 2020 4:17 AM in response to RDell Johnson

First fo all, hope you also transfer all the music content from old MBP to the new one, as well good backup.

Hardware Need: Since MacBook Pro (2019) only has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports - that you will need "adapter of your choice", such as this or multi-function-hub alike, to convert to USB 2/USB 3, in order to connect the iPod cable.

Software: You have to use "finder" for managing the music.

However, under Catalina, you might have to "restore" the iPod first when you connect the iPod. With this "restore" process, you will loose the contents in the iPod. I went through this on all my iPods (classic and mini) when I connected them with Catalina. Just be prepared with this hiccup.

Connecting an iPod Classic to a 2019 MAcBook Pro 16 Inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.