Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (2009) frozen and shut down during OS installation

Hello 

I was installing windows on a 2009 mac Pro (4,1 upgraded to 5,1). Everything seemed to be going fine until it froze.  I held the power button and turned it off without thinking, and it won’t reboot again. I cannot enter the boot menu and disk utility.  Sometimes after ages I get the post “ No bootable device — enter boot disk and press any key” 

I have tried High Sierra(which it was running before) usb boot disks, but no luck. It doesn’t seem to detect any keyboard of usb input.

I have everything backed up elsewhere, so I don’t care about saving any data. 

Any help to get further would be greatly appreciated. 

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 6:32 PM

First you need to answer one question:

did you at any time run any Windows-native software that could have made changes to the partition Map? If you did, it likely clobbered the ENTIRE partition Map, making your MacOS partition unreachable.

Otherwise, be sure you have a wired keyboard plugged directly into a USB on the chassis (not on a display or any USB Hub) and hold the Option key as you start up to get the Startup Manager screen.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 6:32 PM in response to geromgetaa

First you need to answer one question:

did you at any time run any Windows-native software that could have made changes to the partition Map? If you did, it likely clobbered the ENTIRE partition Map, making your MacOS partition unreachable.

Otherwise, be sure you have a wired keyboard plugged directly into a USB on the chassis (not on a display or any USB Hub) and hold the Option key as you start up to get the Startup Manager screen.

Mac Pro (2009) frozen and shut down during OS installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.