Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing problem

Why can't I just share iCloud storage, Location sharing and even Apple Music with my family without having to pay for any apps, books etc they might want to buy for themselves?

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 6:58 AM

See if the Check your purchase sharing settings section of the article below helps.

Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

Have her buy/redeem iTunes Gift cards to the account. Charges will be deducted from the account balance before the organizer's credit card is charged.

App Store & iTunes Gift Cards by Email.     

Gift cards redeem.    

Gift Card - can’t redeem.    

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 6:58 AM in response to KayCeePee

See if the Check your purchase sharing settings section of the article below helps.

Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

Have her buy/redeem iTunes Gift cards to the account. Charges will be deducted from the account balance before the organizer's credit card is charged.

App Store & iTunes Gift Cards by Email.     

Gift cards redeem.    

Gift Card - can’t redeem.    

Jun 22, 2020 3:51 AM in response to donv_the_ghost

Thanks.

I have set up family sharing with my wife. I did not set up 'purchase sharing' but linked the iCloud storage, the Location sharing and the familysubscription to Apple Music I already have. However, today I had an email to say that my wife's download of something from the AppStore had been paid from my account. I have tried to search for advice, especially from Apple Support, about 'turning off' Purchase sharing, which I haven't set up, and the advice has varied from 'family sharing means the organiser pays' to the 'purchase sharing' can be turn off. No process for turning it off has worked. No instruction I have read actually seems to apply to the OS I have.My Mac OS version is 10.15.5.

Jun 22, 2020 4:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks.

Yes, I have been through this Article a few times.

I guess I find the information confusing with ‘purchase sharing’ meaning something different to me than it means to Apple.

My wife has her own Apple ID account with her own payment method. I have no desire to pay for nor track what she wants to buy. She has no need to share what I buy.

All I wanted was to share the massive iCloud storage and the family Apple Music I pay for. Location sharing at our age was useful should something untoward happen.

It seems that Apple has no option that allows these things (above) without the ‘organiser’ having to also take over The payment of members purchases.

Not very flexible!

I will have to close Family Sharing down and I may as well cut my cost and just get individual subscriptions instead of Family in Apple Music and reduce the industrial level iCloud storage I have. At least I can save some money!

Family Sharing problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.