Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hoe kan ik een filmpje gemaakt met iMovie afspelen op Windows?

Hey! Ik heb onlangs een filmpje gemaakt op iMovie, dus een MOV bestand. Nu kan ik deze niet openen met Windows, die ondersteund het blijkbaar niet. Als ik het omzet naar een MP4 bestand kan die alleen geopend worden via media player, maar dan hapert de video. Heeft dit iets te maken met het bestand of omdat ik het via WeTransfer heb doorgestuurd? Ik weet het niet.

Hoe kan ik het filmpje wel laten afspelen? Het is namelijk belangrijk dat iedereen het filmpje kan afspelen.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 4:11 AM

Your movie is ProRes, that is the problem.

ProRes is a high quality codec that is adequate for editing.

Most people do NOT have the ProRes codecs installed, so they cannot play this.

You should export your movies with the H264 codec for greater compatibility (with just about any device, as I wrote before).

You can convert this directly in the Finder, if you like.

Control-click the file, choose Services->Encode Selected Video Files... and choose H.264 with the appropriate frame size (1080p in this case).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 4:11 AM in response to jendmr

Your movie is ProRes, that is the problem.

ProRes is a high quality codec that is adequate for editing.

Most people do NOT have the ProRes codecs installed, so they cannot play this.

You should export your movies with the H264 codec for greater compatibility (with just about any device, as I wrote before).

You can convert this directly in the Finder, if you like.

Control-click the file, choose Services->Encode Selected Video Files... and choose H.264 with the appropriate frame size (1080p in this case).

Jun 22, 2020 3:55 AM in response to jendmr

What version of windows? How did you export from iMovie?

The most usual format would a mov file with H264 codec, which just about any computer released in the last ten years or so should be able to play.

Select the file you exported from iMovie, open in Quicktime Player, press command-I and post a screenshot of the Movie Inspector.

EDIT: I just tried a simple File->Share->File... and it produced an mp4 file with H264 codec.

That is just about the most universal format there is.

It should play in any mac, windows computer, modern phone or tv with usb input...

Hoe kan ik een filmpje gemaakt met iMovie afspelen op Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.