Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Software on a Newish iMac

I am currently running a 2017 iMac (High Sierra 10.13.6). I have a 2008 Mac Pro (El Capitan 10.11.6) with some old software I'd like to continuing using. Can I remove the startup disk from the 2008 Mac Pro and connect it to my iMac and run the old software? Would I need to boot the iMac from the Mac Pro startup disk for it work? Is it safe to do that?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 6:57 PM

Unless you are transferring everything over, malware is not going to "crawl" over by itself. I would not transfer a lot of very old things - some apps may no longer run/be compatible with the newer OS, so I would not bother. You can just move over files, pics, etc. (things you created).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 6:57 PM in response to rpmdk

Unless you are transferring everything over, malware is not going to "crawl" over by itself. I would not transfer a lot of very old things - some apps may no longer run/be compatible with the newer OS, so I would not bother. You can just move over files, pics, etc. (things you created).

Jun 22, 2020 6:59 PM in response to rpmdk

You can use Target Disk Mode to transfer files, like applications, from Mac to another.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

You can connect your Mac Pro to your iMac using a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800 adapter. You can't connect two Macs with Target Disk Mode using USB or Ethernet.

Jun 22, 2020 4:55 PM in response to Niel

Thank you Niel. Toward the end of using the 2008 Mac Pro, I was seeing problems with the startup disk steadily losing space. Possibly Time Machine was backing up copies? I was never able to chase the problem down and there seemed to be some other odd bugs as well (sorry I can't be more specific, it's been a while now). If I start using that old startup disk as an external drive with the new iMac do I run any risk of these problems transferring to the iMac?

Old Software on a Newish iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.