Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I install iTunes on a windows 10 machine?

Why can't I install iTunes on a windows 10 machine for the first ever?

Before you ask, I hae never used Apple software or owned any Apple product before.

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 1:18 AM

Timko67 Said:

"Why can't I install iTunes on a windows 10 machine? Why can't I install iTunes on a windows 10 machine for the first ever? Before you ask, I hae never used Apple software or owned any Apple product before."

-------

Go Here: If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

15 replies

Jun 23, 2020 8:10 AM in response to TheLittles

iTunes is available from Apple - it is their product after all, so it would be odd if it wasn't.

Try this link: iTunes - Apple, scroll down past the "Get it from Microsoft" to the heading Looking for other versions? and select the Windows version.

It's where I got iTunes for my Windows 10 machine.

I believe the two versions (Apple and Microsoft) are different. I have no idea why they should be different. It's just one more of Apple's mysteries.

Jun 24, 2020 8:36 AM in response to Timko67

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

I've seen a couple of posts recently where installation was failing during the install of Bonjour. You can try the method given at Install missing components to install all of the other components, which might work although likely leaves AirPlay and Home Sharing broken. Installing Bonjour from a slightly earlier build could fix that.

tt2

Jun 24, 2020 11:16 AM in response to turingtest2

I would add that iTunes is available from Apple, either directly from https://www.apple.com/itunes/ or using the Microsoft Store in Windows 10. There are subtle differences between the two releases. Installing the other one, or a previous release, is one of several potential workarounds for installation problems that I cover in my user tip.

The MS store version is a single package that the store can update automatically in the same way that iOS apps are updated centrally. The other version consists of a number of components complete with its own update scheduler. Store apps should be sandboxed.

tt2

Jun 25, 2020 4:06 AM in response to Timko67

What build of iTunes are you trying to install? The one from the Microsoft Store or the iTunes64Setup.exe version downloaded from www.apple.com/itunes?

Assuming the latter for now what component is being installed when the error occurs?

From the previous post did you attempt any of this suggestion?

I've seen a couple of posts recently where installation was failing during the install of Bonjour. You can try the method given at Install missing components to install all of the other components, which might work although likely leaves AirPlay and Home Sharing broken. Installing Bonjour from a slightly earlier build could fix that.

At the very bottom of the Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates tip you will find links to the last 10+ builds of iTunes. If the current build won't install try the previous one, or the one before that.

tt2

Jun 23, 2020 2:41 AM in response to Timko67

Timko67 Said:

"Why can't I install iTunes on a windows 10 machine?: I tried that site dose not help."

-------

Talk to Microsoft - they are the developers of the site, and of the Operating System. Use this Link: Microsoft - Virtual Agent.

iTunes is available from Microsoft - not Apple. Go Here for the Download: Download iTunes for Windows from the Microsoft Store - Microsoft. Be certain that you download iTunes, from Microsoft, and none other. Downloading it elsewhere, you may get malware of sorts on your PC. So, just stick with Microsoft for the iTunes download.

Jun 24, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Timko67

Timko67 wrote:

I was no with my IT person trying to get iTunes installed on my Windows 10 PC and he even failed to get it to install.
How dose that strike you?

It depends. Which version of iTunes are you trying to install now?

With regard to the IT person you have consulted, I've seen plenty of posts here from IT people who appear to have enormous difficulty with iTunes. By the way, for many years, I used to work in IT.

Myself and TheLittles have offered you conflicting advice, which would mean that the only thing I can now is to openly disagree with TheLittles, which I have no intention of doing and wouldn't help you even if I did.

You could try tt2's suggestion.

Jun 24, 2020 11:19 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

The MS store version is a single package that the store can update automatically in the same way that iOS apps are updated centrally. The other version consists of a number of components complete with its own update scheduler. Store apps should be sandboxed.

Ah! Well, that goes some way to answering the question I posed in another place.

Why can't I install iTunes on a windows 10 machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.