Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oleophobic coating wearing off

Hi, I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max which I bought on the 24th of December and this week I noticed a mark on the screen which I'm suspecting that its the Oleophobic coating I always take good care of my phone and they are always in protective cases. Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix this problem because its really bugging me seeing a big oval shaped mark on the screen. Thank you in advance.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 12:11 PM

Greetings Dwayne_017,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you've noticed a mark on the display on your iPhone, and you're concerned the oleophobic coating is wearing off.

The following article outlines how cleaning products and abrasive materials can diminish the oleophobic coating: Important handling information for iPhone - Apple Support

"iPhone has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic (oil-repellant) coating. This coating wears over time with normal usage. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and may scratch iPhone."

It's recommended to seek service for further assistance. The following articles will help you to prepare and arrange for service:

Kind regards.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2020 12:11 PM in response to Dwayne_017

Greetings Dwayne_017,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you've noticed a mark on the display on your iPhone, and you're concerned the oleophobic coating is wearing off.

The following article outlines how cleaning products and abrasive materials can diminish the oleophobic coating: Important handling information for iPhone - Apple Support

"iPhone has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic (oil-repellant) coating. This coating wears over time with normal usage. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and may scratch iPhone."

It's recommended to seek service for further assistance. The following articles will help you to prepare and arrange for service:

Kind regards.

Jun 26, 2020 8:02 PM in response to LD150

So Peter, putting a non-coated glass screen protector over the factory coated glass screen solves what? The end result is the same is it not? Might as well just let the coating wear off on its own and save yourself the additional cost of a third party screen protector.

To Dwayne, yes the coating eventually wears off. Follow the instructions to minimize the loss.

Oleophobic coating wearing off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.