Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a lot of ipads on ebay and some of them are activation locked. What can I do to remove the lock? Can Apple assist me in locating the previous owner so that I can inform them that I have the devices and request assistance?

What can I do to remove the lock? Can Apple assist me in locating the previous owner so that I can inform them that I have the devices and request assistance?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 4:48 AM

The Activation lock is a security feature. If it could be released, it would no longer be useful.

If you bought the device from eBay, it would be up to eBay to help you to get a refund for the locked devices. Selling devices with an activation lock is fraud, if the buyer is not told about this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 4:48 AM in response to GroogleIT

The Activation lock is a security feature. If it could be released, it would no longer be useful.

If you bought the device from eBay, it would be up to eBay to help you to get a refund for the locked devices. Selling devices with an activation lock is fraud, if the buyer is not told about this.

Jun 25, 2020 3:53 AM in response to LACAllen

So, what you’re telling me is that, rather than promoting recycle, refurbish, and reuse, Apple would choose to be the problem?? Cause that’s what I’m getting here.

I understand that it’s not fair to the person who’s device was stolen, but after a period of time, this lock should be released. These devices are everywhere. Most of them aren’t stolen! Do you know how many iPhones are dropped off at the pawn shop then reported stolen and claimed on insurance for a BRAND new one!??!!

Check this out....Be the Solution!!

https://youtu.be/dMwLUnd_ydI

Jun 26, 2020 1:30 PM in response to GroogleIT

GroogleIT wrote:

So what exactly are we supposed to do with activation locked devices? What is Apple Protocol?

That has been patiently explained to you twice in this conversation.

There is no protocol for 3rd party transfers of title for iOS devices. Apple never divulges user data. Dealing in activation-locked iOS devices will never be successful, unless for scrap/parts.

I would suggest for these , you recycle them. Then I suggest you find another business model.

I bought a lot of ipads on ebay and some of them are activation locked. What can I do to remove the lock? Can Apple assist me in locating the previous owner so that I can inform them that I have the devices and request assistance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.