Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures emailing sideways

My phone takes the photos right side up and show correctly on my camera roll. when I email them they are appearing sideways when the email is opened....any ideas on how to correct this other than turning the iphone on it's side when taking a photo???

mac, software iphone 4.0.1

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 9:30 AM

15 replies

Aug 21, 2010 1:56 AM in response to jaimet

jaimet wrote:
My phone takes the photos right side up and show correctly on my camera roll. when I email them they are appearing sideways when the email is opened....any ideas on how to correct this other than turning the iphone on it's side when taking a photo???

There are a couple of long posts on this subject. To summarize, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your phone or with the Apple software in your phone. Apple previously rotated the picture and set the orientation flag to zero which is the OLD way of doing things and resulted in longer than necessary save time.

Virtually all modern camera manufacturers have switched to saving the photo as taken--no bit manipulation so faster saves--and setting the EXIF orientation flag so that the app displaying the image will rotate it correctly. Nikon and Canon among others do it this way.

The problem you are seeing is because the email app does not respect the orientation flag. It assumes the image was saved so that no rotation is necessary which was the OLD way of doing things. Other apps, including Safari 5 on the Mac platform, Facebook, Thunderbird, and others, also do not respect the orientation flag.

All Adobe products, all Apple imaging products and Safari on the iPad/iPhone respect the orientation flag.

To keep this from being an issue--until the app developers get off their duff and come into the 21st century--take all of your images on the iPhone in landscape mode with the home button to the right.

Aug 29, 2010 8:07 PM in response to jaimet

Pictures sent on the iPhone 4 (upright) and sent by email are received sideways or -90 degrees from the original photo in most email clients and web browsers (Hotmail, Gmail in Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer) on any Mac and PC. They appear in the correct, upright position when viewed in Entourage or Mac Preview. This is an embarrassing and major glitch that needs to be corrected! Relatives are becoming very unhappy receiving and viewing rotated iPhone 4 pics.

Aug 31, 2010 12:57 PM in response to jaimet

I will try to reiterate what crh24 said in a lighter version for the non technical savvy.

Your iphone (just like any other digital camera) technically has a "proper" way to be held. This is with the phone in "landscape" orientation with the home key on the right.

Also understand that your iphone has a mechanism in it that tells it what way is up and hence the phone can figure out how you're holding it.

Now you need to understand that the image file itself stores information about how the phone was held when the picture was taken. Lets call that bit of information "orientation information" or "OI". If you held the camera correctly, with the home key on the right, the image file would hold OI data that would read "held normally".

If you held the camera with the home key at the bottom in portrait mode, the image file would hold OI data that would read "hey this file was taken rotated 90 degrees to the right, when you display this image make sure you first rotate it 90 degrees to the right"

While this is fantastic technology and should take all the pain out of "did i hold it right?"- here is the kicker.

The iphone and all apple technology knows how to read OI data and display images and video correctly. However other apps that are trying to interpret it don't know to look for OI data and hence if you took a portrait shot with the home key at the bottom (remember that technically for the image to show up correctly it would have to be displayed as rotated 90 degrees to the right) the image would actually show as landscape, but with the people's feet on the right, and the people's heads on the left - hence sideways.

This is a classic example of great technology that isn't an open standard. Since apple likely doesn't publish how the OI data is stored, no one else can figure out how to display it correctly. So while everything always looks great on YOUR phone, everyone else will be like wow it's all sideways.

I would imagine apple's response would either be "well view it with our software or just get our hardware (which has our software)".

Sep 3, 2010 3:19 AM in response to wakeboarder3780

wakeboarder3780 wrote:
I will try to reiterate what crh24 said in a lighter version for the non technical savvy.

<...deleted... but all correct>

This is a classic example of great technology that isn't an open standard. Since apple likely doesn't publish how the OI data is stored, no one else can figure out how to display it correctly. So while everything always looks great on YOUR phone, everyone else will be like wow it's all sideways.

This is totally incorrect. EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format, and is a standard for storing interchange information in image files, especially those using JPEG compression. Most digital cameras now use the EXIF format. The format is part of the DCF standard created by JEITA to encourage interoperability between imaging devices. It isn't actively maintained by any standards committee, but it is updated. The latest version is 2.3 which was made available earlier this year.

I would imagine apple's response would either be "well view it with our software or just get our hardware (which has our software)".

Not just Apple hardware. Canon and Nikon just to name a couple of well known camera makers started using the orientation flag long before Apple did.

Pictures emailing sideways

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.