Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2020 randomly shuts off

My iPhone SE 2020 recently randomly shuts off for two times. My OS is updated and there is no physical damage. I wander if anyone has the same problem and what could be the reason.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:36 AM

No, I have no found a solution:

I took it in for service at an Apple approved service technician that also works together with my service provider using my warranty and they found nothing as I expected.

I strongly urge others to reconsider taking their SE 2020 because this hardware or software bug is really sporadic and if the repair office doesn't find anything obviously wrong with the device they'll charge you a service fee that neither Apple nor your carrier will or is obligated to pay.

I payed them $39 just to have them say that it works perfectly when I confidently know it doesn't.

It's not supposed to shut off randomly and when I see that a lot of others are reporting the same problem for the exact same model, then I'm thinking. I also know it's not supposed to have a sporadic "pop" sound come from the speakers but it does and many others are experiencing the same.

I feels kinda ridiculous to get this angry when it cost so little. But at the same time I feel ripped off as I never had these kinds quality issues with my previous iPhones.

[Edited by Moderator]

128 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 8:36 AM in response to jkern91723

No, I have no found a solution:

I took it in for service at an Apple approved service technician that also works together with my service provider using my warranty and they found nothing as I expected.

I strongly urge others to reconsider taking their SE 2020 because this hardware or software bug is really sporadic and if the repair office doesn't find anything obviously wrong with the device they'll charge you a service fee that neither Apple nor your carrier will or is obligated to pay.

I payed them $39 just to have them say that it works perfectly when I confidently know it doesn't.

It's not supposed to shut off randomly and when I see that a lot of others are reporting the same problem for the exact same model, then I'm thinking. I also know it's not supposed to have a sporadic "pop" sound come from the speakers but it does and many others are experiencing the same.

I feels kinda ridiculous to get this angry when it cost so little. But at the same time I feel ripped off as I never had these kinds quality issues with my previous iPhones.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 24, 2020 1:34 AM in response to rolelael

Something tells me that I'll also experience the shutdowns again.

I actually experienced them for the first time within 1-3 weeks after I purchased it back in April. But then the shutdowns and speaker "popping" would stop occuring for a couple of weeks or even a month. It would then return much more frequently again, and then have a period where it didn't occur.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 26, 2021 7:44 PM in response to jiong78

Came to this thread because the same thing happened to me, twice in 24 hours. First time since I got the phone November 2020. I can't recall the popping sound, but when it happened today I was listening to a live Twitter Space stream. Already tried the reset option in this article, but after the Apple logo flashed for a second, it went back to being dead.

The home button seems stuck too. I can normally press it and feel it depress, but now it's immovable. For charging, I've used original Apple lightning cables. Charging bricks are either the original one with the phone, an iPad (Mini) brick, or my Anker battery pack.

I updated to iOS 15 a few days ago. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Sep 23, 2020 12:00 AM in response to Misterar

Same over here. iPhone SE bought end of July, and has now since a month random shut downs. Sometimes it even won't start up directly and needs a few hours. Battery is not drained

Contacted Apple support ; revised logs -> but no issues found.

Resetted iPhone also from scrath. No luck

Only thing I can do according to Apple is to bring it to a service centre for some tests.

I'm not very happy with this one. Never had such issues with formal iPhones.

If someone has an idea what's going on ....

Apple sais they don't have a general issue on this one.

Sep 23, 2020 2:59 AM in response to rolelael

Update: Since I took it in to service I haven’t experienced any of the random shutdowns or the “popping” sound that came from the speakers when charging. Everything is fine now.

They didn’t find any hardware issues and didn’t fix anything so it doesn’t seem to be related to them looking at it. I don’t know.

But I did update to iOS 14 right after I got it back. So maybe it’s some kind of software issue?

I’ll post again if the shutdowns come back.

Oct 4, 2020 5:18 AM in response to jiong78

Update October 4th 2020: iPhone SE did the restart thing again today after having not experienced it for close to a month or so. Still nothing logged under the "iPhone Analytics" section. I, again, actually didn't even notice it except for when I picked up the iPhone after leaving it to charge and it wouldn't allow me to log in with Touch ID (because it had been restarted).

I guess this means that it hasn't been fixed on it's own or by updating to iOS 14.

It's really frustrating that this software or hardware bug is so sporadic that it's almost impossible to count on it showing up when you want to demonstrate it for someone else.

Oct 4, 2020 12:01 PM in response to jiong78

I think I may have found an explanation as to why neither Apple nor 3rd party repair shops seem recognize this bug:

The random shutdowns are caused primarily or solely by charging the iPhone with 3rd party Lightning cables. Neither Apple nor repair shops test iPhones with anything but original Apple cables.

It doesn't matter if they are cheap or expensive, or if they are MFi-certified or not. You will get the shutdowns as long as you're charging with anything other than 100% original Apple Lightning cables(or charging on a wireless pad in which case the brand doesn't matter).

The brand of the wall charger itself doesn't appear to matter. It's all about the cable.

Yes, I know that it doesn't exactly make a lot of sense since iPhones are supposed to be compatible with all brands of Lightning cables as long as they are MFi-certified. But I've tested with several different brands, both MFi-certified and non-certified. Only original Apple cables consistently charge the SE 2020 without the reboots and the "static" distortion sounds from the speakers.

I also now remember that when I got the SE 2020 back in late Apri 2020, I only charged it with the included 5W charger and Apple Lightning cable. I then ordered an assortment of cables and 18W chargers from Belkin and Anker (directly from their brand stores) and that's when the reboots and the popping sounds started happening.

Only wireless charging and Apple cables are reboot and "popping" sound free for me.

I urge everyone who reads this to try it out to confirm my theory.

Oct 4, 2020 12:06 PM in response to rolelael

It's all about the cables: Some SE 2020 owners and many iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus owners were experiencing the same thing.

For whatever reason, some or all(?) iPhone SE 2020, 8, and 8 Plus have issues with 3rd party Lightning cables. They'll only charge flawlessly without rebooting or making weird sounds if you charge either with a 100% original Apple cable or if you charge wirelessly.

You can go search old posts on reddit and other communities.

I don't know if it's hardware or software. But Apple never fixed or addressed this bug and there's nothing you can do to fix this as an SE 2020 owner.

iPhone SE 2020 randomly shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.