Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Vulnerability Re: Use of Apple Password on Non-Apple Devices

I have been staying with a friend that has a Roku TV. I wanted to play movies stored on my Apple Cloud and iPad. In the past, I was able to simply mirror my iPad to a tv. Now it seems that all the newer tvs require me to open an AppleTV app and login with my regular apple password (the very same password that accesses all of my data!). Security is important to me and I don’t want to share my password on a foreign device with unknown security. I trust my password is secure on Apple devices that I control, but I certainly don’t want to risk entering my password on a tv or other non-Apple device which could be exploited. Even if I had exclusive control of the device, there is no way to protect against any vulnerabilities.

Is there a way to either create a limited app password or force mirroring to access movies with my apple ID without conpromising my overall security?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 9:06 PM

Is there a way to either create a limited app password or force mirroring to access movies with my apple ID without conpromising my overall security?

Have you already signed in this way? That you don't have to use an app specific password now suggests you are signing in to a secure Apple process.

Any 3rd party access to an Apple service using your Apple ID requires the app specific password. If you do use an app specific password that is Apple's way of providing you the security of an Apple device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 9:06 PM in response to MsMaire

Have you already signed in this way? That you don't have to use an app specific password now suggests you are signing in to a secure Apple process.

Any 3rd party access to an Apple service using your Apple ID requires the app specific password. If you do use an app specific password that is Apple's way of providing you the security of an Apple device.

Security Vulnerability Re: Use of Apple Password on Non-Apple Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.