Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting my MacBook to sleep while downloading updates

Hello,

I recently decided to upgrade my macOS to Catalina from Mojave; and since my internet is super slow, I obviously can't sit in front of my Mac while it downloads the update.

So can I put my MacBook to sleep or at least close the lid while it downloads the update and does its stuff.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 2:10 AM

Yash_Karthik Said:

"Putting my MacBook to sleep while downloading updates: Jus another small question[...] can I update without backing up into time machine [...] will my files still be there"

-------

Then answer is: "Yes" to both questions.

But, I strongly do not recommend updating without backing up.

Why: It is wise to backup prior to any upgrade, whatsoever. Because, if you do not back it up, then something might go wrong with the install. You might be out of luck from then on out. So, I insist you back it up.

Important: A downgrade might end up being a need be. As I aside above, only 64bit apps are compatible with Catalina. So, 32bit apps will not work. So, be certain that you up back it up, prior to upgrading.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 2:10 AM in response to Yash_Karthik

Yash_Karthik Said:

"Putting my MacBook to sleep while downloading updates: Jus another small question[...] can I update without backing up into time machine [...] will my files still be there"

-------

Then answer is: "Yes" to both questions.

But, I strongly do not recommend updating without backing up.

Why: It is wise to backup prior to any upgrade, whatsoever. Because, if you do not back it up, then something might go wrong with the install. You might be out of luck from then on out. So, I insist you back it up.

Important: A downgrade might end up being a need be. As I aside above, only 64bit apps are compatible with Catalina. So, 32bit apps will not work. So, be certain that you up back it up, prior to upgrading.

Jun 25, 2020 1:32 AM in response to Yash_Karthik

Yash_Karthik Said:

"Putting my MacBook to sleep while downloading updates: [...]can I put my MacBook to sleep or at least close the lid while it downloads the update and does its stuff."

-------

No. It cannot update while sleeping. Update it when you have the time. Update requires user interactivity, such as clicking buttons.

IMPORTANT:

Create a Time Machine Backup First:

Prior to the update of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

Note: Only 64bit apps are compatible with Catalina. So, 32bit Apps will not work. So, be certain that up back it up, prior to upgrading.

Putting my MacBook to sleep while downloading updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.