Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave on an external drive

I currently have Mojave running on my iMac, I know sometime soon I'll need to move over to Catalina.

I have a small software programme that I need to keep and it will not be updated to work with Catalina.

I have a spare, empty partition of 500gig on an external HDD, can someone please advise the best procedure for installing Mojave on that partition and the correct way of moving over the software I need to keep.

I am not concerned about updating Mojave on the partition as it will not be used to access the internet.

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 4:00 AM

Format the external drive as APFS. Then either use apps like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the existing Mojave install (or maybe parts of it if there is not enough space) to the external drive. Or make a bootable Mojave installer flash drive and freshly install Mojave and any needed apps.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mojave on an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.