Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos stuck in updating or uploading

I just purchased a MacBook Air using the latest OS. I’m transferring my photos from my iPad to my Mac. It’s been stuck either updating or uploading for almost 24 hours. I have 6700 photos. Is there a problem I need to fix or is this normal due to how many photos I have? Thanks for any information on this.

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 6:10 AM

Which system version do you have installed?

Is there an "Unable to upload" album in the sidebar in Photos? If yes, check the items in this album. You may have incompatible items in your Photos Library that are preventing the upload, see:

About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Create the two mart albums described in the document. Are these albums empty?

Does the status message about "uploading show the number of items being uploaded? If yes, is the number changing, albeit slowly? Then do not interrupt the upload. It is a slow process and can takle several days, depending on the number of items.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 6:10 AM in response to npanzeca

Which system version do you have installed?

Is there an "Unable to upload" album in the sidebar in Photos? If yes, check the items in this album. You may have incompatible items in your Photos Library that are preventing the upload, see:

About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Create the two mart albums described in the document. Are these albums empty?

Does the status message about "uploading show the number of items being uploaded? If yes, is the number changing, albeit slowly? Then do not interrupt the upload. It is a slow process and can takle several days, depending on the number of items.

Photos stuck in updating or uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.