Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.Mouse event handlers on Macs with Safari 4.1 and Safari 5

I'm having a weird problem with mouse event handlers on Macs with Safari 4.1 and Safari 5.
My application is using Silverlight 3. It has worked fine on all browsers (Win IE7/8, Win FF, Win Safari, Mac Firefox). But suddenly I'm having this problem only with Safari 4.1 and Safari 5 on "Mac" (Safari 4.0.4 is fine).
I'm not really sure what is causing a problem, but my guess is either CaptureMouse/ReleaseMouse or GetPosition inside mouse event handlers doesn't work.

You can see how it doesn't work on Macs with Safari 4.1 and Safari 5, while it works perfectly fine on all other browsers.

Here's the steps to reproduce:

1. Start Internet Explorer 7/8 or Firefox or Safari on Windows
2. Go to http://ad.gogopin.com/.
3. Click "Get Started" button.
4. After the page loads, click the living room image on the canvas, mouse drag and drop to move around the image. This should work.
5. Start Safari 4.1 or 5 on Macs.
6. Do the step 2-4 and you will see mouse drag and drop is not working properly.

This issue has been reported to Microsoft as well:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/577027/mouse-event-h andlers-on-macs-with-safari-4-1-and-safari-5#details

Message was edited by: shooloom

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 10:45 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2010 10:49 AM in response to shooloom

HI and welcome to Apple Discussions...

Some other Safari 5 users have posted regarding this issue also. Some have found that uninstalling then reinstalling the Flash plugin helped.

Uninstall Flash

Install the most recent version of Flash here.

Adobe strongly advises repairing permissions after installing Flash.

Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Carolyn 🙂

.Mouse event handlers on Macs with Safari 4.1 and Safari 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.