Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent Music.app opening when connecting Bluetooth device

OS 10.15, 2018 Mac mini. When I turn on my Bluetooth-enabled audio receiver, (a) the mini connects to it automatically, (b) launches Music.app, and (c) begins playing whatever it was that it last played. When I quit Music.app, it stubbornly re-launches, unless I invoke another music-playing application (e.g., VLC) that also sends output to the receiver.

PLEASE, there must be a way to prevent Music.app from launching when activating the receiver. This issue is fixable for iTunes and an earlier OS by modifying the RCD daemon, but I'm not inclined to mess with Sys files on the read-only Catalina volume (and there doesn't seem to be an RCD daemon in any case).

Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 11:19 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jun 27, 2020 9:00 AM in response to Barney-15E

I haven't tried disabling RCD in Catalina. The commands I used for Mavericks are

launchctl stop com.apple.rcd

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rcd.plist

I don't see a "com.apple.rcd" file on the Catalina System volume, although there is a plist version. Instead, there are two other files, com.apple.rcdevent.matching and com.apple.rcdevent.matching.plugin. Also, I'm a bit out of my depth here. I assumed that I couldn't alter System files on the Read-only volume. Perhaps those commands merely stop and prevent loading of RCD but don't change the files?

There is another (nuclear) option at StackExchange:

sudo chmod 000 /System/Library/CoreServices/rcd.app/Contents/MacOS/rcd

sudo pkill -9 rcd

There is an rcd.app in Catalina with the same path as shown above.

But, again, my comfort zone with Catalina is far narrower than it is with Mavericks. I'll have a look at the man page. I'm waiting to hear from Yamaha.

Thank you.

Jun 27, 2020 6:05 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your reply. The receiver is just like any old school stereo receiver-amplifier, except that it is also designed to accept audio input from Bluetooth devices. That function is selected from the receiver control panel. I purchased the receiver because I wanted to stream audio from my two Macs to the receiver (via Bluetooth) so that the receiver would then output the audio to my old school speakers.

The whole thing works perfectly (no software came with the receiver; one pairs it just like any Bluetooth device). It's just that I don't (necessarily) want to use the Music.app, which, as I said, launches on its own, and, worse, immediately starts playing. I'm a writer/editor; consequently, I spend large amounts of time in front of the computer. I listen to Internet streams, lots of them. I use a nice, simple application, SonicWeb (it's in the App Store) dedicated to finding, storing, and recording streams. It's much handier than Apple Music.

I understand Apple's motive, but Music.app doesn't suit all my desires; thus, it is annoying to have it shoved in front of me every time I activate the receiver, and even after I quit the application. Can that behavior be made optional (I promise to keep it a secret)? Perhaps someone at Apple will see my plea.

Thanks for reading my posts.

Jun 27, 2020 7:19 AM in response to Howard Fried

Sounds like you have a similar receiver to mine, so I don't know why Music opens when you connect. Mine doesn't. I found no settings in either Music or Bluetooth to enable what you are seeing. I cannot replicate the behavior you observed.

Does your receiver send an "resume play" command or something like that? My car bluetooth adaptor can do that to my iPhone, but my receiver doesn't do that. If the Mac gets a "play" command without any active source, it may default to starting Music app to play.

Does SonicWeb use the media buttons on your Mac? If it is open and is accepting the media key functions, if you connect the receiver, does SonicWeb start to play?

The media keys (play/pause/next/prev) seem to bounce around to whatever is primary in the OS, but might not capture the fact that SonicWeb is the desired destination for the play command if it is in the background. If nothing is actively playing anything and I hit the play button, Music opens and starts playing.

If I have Pandora streaming in a browser window, not in foreground, the media keys still control Pandora, not Music.

Jun 27, 2020 8:07 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I too have not found settings in either Music or Bluetooth to account for what happens, which is why I ended up here. I can't say whether my receiver has a "resume play" command (I've scoured the manual), but I don't think so for the following reason. Situation: Music is not open. SonicWeb is not open. Turn on receiver and select Bluetooth from the receiver control panel. Music (only) launches; SonicWeb does not open. Quit Music quickly and open SonicWeb; play streams (Music does not re-open, all is well). Quit SonicWeb. Turn off receiver. Later, repeat the same process. Music again launches, etc.

If the receiver was sending a resume play command, why doesn't SonicWeb open? It was the last application to be playing. Or is only Music able to receive a resume play command via Bluetooth.

Also, SonicWeb doesn't use a separate set of media buttons. It has its own Play/Pause/Stop/Record buttons (no Next or Previous) within its GUI. SonicWeb doesn't use a web browser interface, despite the name of the application. It's free-standing.

I suppose my best option at the moment is to contact the receiver manufacturer (Yamaha) and inquire about an undocumented "resume play" action.

Parenthetically, I had the same issue with iTunes on an older Mac. But, as I mentioned, I found some Terminal commands (at StackExchange, I think) to prevent activation of the RCD (remote control daemon). Does the same autoplay behavior with iTunes and Music imply that my receiver is at fault?

Many thanks.

Jun 27, 2020 8:23 AM in response to Howard Fried

Also, SonicWeb doesn't use a separate set of media buttons. It has its own Play/Pause/Stop/Record buttons (no Next or Previous) within its GUI. SonicWeb doesn't use a web browser interface, despite the name of the application. It's free-standing.

So, it doesn't respond at all to the play/pause buttons built into the keyboard.

There is likely a process (maybe rcd--it still has a man page) that manages the play/pause button since it has to decide which source to affect. Did you try disabling rcd in Catalina?

The "play" command is likely generic and the process handles what process should get the command. If SonicWeb is not configured to receive those commands, then it will never function from either the receiver or the keyboard button. I would doubt that the receiver could pick and choose what source to play.

Jun 27, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Howard Fried

I haven't tried disabling RCD in Catalina. The commands I used for Mavericks are

launchctl stop com.apple.rcd
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rcd.plist

I don't see a "com.apple.rcd" file on the Catalina System volume, although there is a plist version.

The process name is com.apple.rcd.

The plist is what starts it up at startup.

The first command should stop the process, if it is running.

The second command unloads the plist from launchd so that it won't start up again. the -w option tells it to "write" the bit to keep it unloaded, always. It used to actually write to the plist, but now it is stored in a different structure that tells launchd which to load and which to not load.

You don't have to edit anything as long as you can successfully unload the launch daemon.

The rest of those commands should be unnecessary and you can't change the mode on them, anyway.

Jun 27, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Howard Fried

(I can't understand why I am apparently the only one with the issue).

I'm pretty sure my receiver doesn't issue a play command when it connects. As I noted, my car bluetooth device does do that to my iPhone. It only works occasionally, though, and only turns on Music when I don't have anything else open.

My guess would be it is not the receiver but SonicWeb that doesn't register with the OS that it is expecting to get play commands.

Jul 1, 2020 5:36 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the “sudo” heads-up.  Unfortunately, there is a new barrier.  Both of the following commands return “Could not find specified service”

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rcd.plist

sudo launchctl unload -w /Volumes/New\ Mini/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rcd.plist

I noticed in the launchctl man page that “load/unload” are legacy commands and the -F flag may be necessary.  Does that account for the failure to find the service?

I also noticed “… allowing non-root write access to the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons directory WILL render your system unbootable.”

I’m not 100% sure what “allowing non-root write access” means, but I think it’s time for me to forget about messing with rcd. I'm probably one of maybe five people in the world who cares, and you, and I, have spent a grossly disproportionate amount of time on this trivial issue.

Thanks for all your feedback. I've learned some things, which is a plus.

Jul 2, 2020 12:25 PM in response to Howard Fried

I currently don't have a Catalina Mac with me to troubleshoot those commands, so I couldn't offer any other suggestions for several weeks anyway.

Sorry we couldn't resolve it. Seems like that should have been possible, but I know that there have been lots of posts with how the media keys respond in Catalina, and I know my Mac would occasionally forget which app was being controlled by those keys. There may be a different service running in Catalina, so we may be trying something that won't work anyway. I did list all my kexts and com.apple.rcd was in the list.

Prevent Music.app opening when connecting Bluetooth device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.