Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion Templates in Final Cut Pro

I went to Users>Movies>Motion Templates and it's totally empty. I open the app and all the title filters are there but I can't figure out how to install new templates. Help?!

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 5:27 AM

UPDATE!

I found out that I needed to make the template type folders plural when naming. (Titles.localized, Effects.localized, etc...) the link you gave didn't mention that. After I made those updates, it worked like a charm!

fox_m wrote:

This may answer a number of your questions:
https://fcpxtemplates.com/installation-faq/
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 5:27 AM in response to DjPaulWall

UPDATE!

I found out that I needed to make the template type folders plural when naming. (Titles.localized, Effects.localized, etc...) the link you gave didn't mention that. After I made those updates, it worked like a charm!

fox_m wrote:

Jun 27, 2020 8:13 AM in response to DjPaulWall

If this folder struct is already in place make sure the path is correct using a ".localized" extension. Then you have to add the missing folders for the Motion Template types. The easiest way is to use a little script I wrote:

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/Utilities/FCPX/globalTemplateFolder.dmg.

If you own Motion – Motion will do the same for you.

With the complete template folders follow the vendor/creator instructions to install. Many of of those even come with an installer.

In case the instructions are "incomplete":

There are 4 types of Motion template files.

1. Effects - .moef
  2. Generators - .motn
  3. Titles - .moti
  4. Transitions - motr

Each is stored in a folder together with some other files and folders (there might be more than listed below):

Media

large.png

small.png

The folder name in most cases are the same as the template. It should not have a ".localized" extension.

The "template folder" should be stored in a "category folder" – example:

.../Transitions.localized/MyCoolStuff/Amazing Transition 1

The "Amazing Transition 1" folder would contain:

Amazing Transition 1. motr

Media

large.png

small.png

If the "Amazing Transition 1" folder would be installed directly into .../Transitions.localized the transition would show up in FCP under the "Custom" category.

Jun 29, 2020 4:20 AM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

Good overview - but there is something wrong:

*There is special case that makes this instruction list a little different. If your template is "themed", then that is an extra level of folder that needs to be inserted. In general, if the templates you are installing are themed, then each of the templates will already be placed inside a Theme (name) folder and you should have instructions to place the entire Theme folder inside the Category level. Otherwise, it is recommended that you do not use Themes unless you know what you're doing.

Themes don't need any additional folder nor do additional folders help to create "Themes".

Themes are created inside Motion and stored inside the template XML file. You can have multiple Categories and even template types with the same "Theme" and no folders for the "Theme".

Jun 29, 2020 6:55 PM in response to spherico

It's not wrong... it's just superficial. My instructions and explanations are geared to people who are not accustomed to manually installing templates. Themes are a whole other level of PITA. When you create a Theme in Motion, you get the folder. If there is a Theme in one of *my* templates, there is a theme folder. If a user is using an older version of FCPX... there better be Theme folders. I know the <theme> tag in themed templates. I've gone in to edit (or remove) them. Most users do not need to know this.

Theme folders make organization of templates better. If you like 24 different versions of the same bloody time as separate files... folders might not be convenient. If you make templates that don't require the Theme folder(s), then those instructional explanations belong to you.

It is still recommended that you do not use Themes unless you know what you're doing.

Motion Templates in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.