Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samba File Sharing Via Linux

Anyone have any answer as to why files on my SMB share on my Linux box are not detected by Finder? What's weird is that if I use some programs, it sees the files on the SMB share through that dialog box.

I save files to my share and the Windows PC sees the files just fine, however, even if I save a file on the Mac, the Mac is unable to see them.

I've checked file permissions and my smb.conf. I've also tried rebooting as well as shutting Finder down and restarting it.

Latest version of macOS installed too.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 9:57 PM

Sounds like you may have a software issue on your Mac. See if booting into Safe Mode works better. If so, then try running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

It doesn't surprise me that Finder has issues like this. I've had trouble getting Finder to refresh a local folder and I've had problems with Finder ejecting USB drives and virtual volumes.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 9:57 PM in response to Patrick W. Walker

Sounds like you may have a software issue on your Mac. See if booting into Safe Mode works better. If so, then try running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

It doesn't surprise me that Finder has issues like this. I've had trouble getting Finder to refresh a local folder and I've had problems with Finder ejecting USB drives and virtual volumes.

Jul 15, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Patrick W. Walker

Hi Patrick,

Have you got the VFS fruit module declared in smb.conf? It sounds like there is a problem with the samba server streaming metadata to your Mac.

This link tells you a little bit about fruit. This link shows you more info on configuring your samba config to better serve macOS. Make sure the vfs objects are set in order:

vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr

The second link I gave should give you some clues on what to put into your smb.conf file.

I'd have a tinker with those links to see if they help you in any way. Make sure though once you have made the changes to unmount the share on your Mac. MacOS only negotiates SMB settings when connecting to the server.

I also do a few other tweaks on the Mac client. These are mainly to improve speed rather than any thing else. Have a read of these two Apple documentation links:

Client Signing

Adjust behaviour

I hope that offers some helpful insight!

Jun 28, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Patrick W. Walker

It seems that if I switch from detail to icon view inside an application it triggers a refresh. Even then, it's hit and miss.

Looking at the file share via Finder shows a dated file list that has been changed. Moving up the folder tree and then back is not forcing a refresh as it normally is supposed to.

Looks like the state is not being properly or refreshed in a timely manner.

Jun 28, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Patrick W. Walker

So, I also use FileExplorer Pro from my iPad and it works properly.

This appears to be an issue with Finder/macOS and SMB sharing.

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm unable to eject SMB shares on the Mac. Clicking the eject button does nothing; force restarting Finder doesn't fix these issues, either. At first, it tells me the application is not responding from the context menu on the dock, and upon restart, a Finder window does not reappear.

Samba File Sharing Via Linux

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.