Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2FA Setup

No luck. I'm on first page of Apple ID with my name and personal symbol. I must still be signed in because I see no password box. Selecting difference pane on left doesn't help, nor go to iCloud. Am I on correct page?

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 11:43 AM

7 replies

Jun 28, 2020 12:40 PM in response to TampaFred

You need another trusted device or telephone number.

See Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support:

A trusted device is an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 and later, or a Mac with OS X El Capitan and later that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication.

All settings for the Mac are in System Preferences. The particular one related to this topic would be Apple ID in Catalina or iCloud in earlier versions of macOS.

Verification codes cannot be received if the device is offline. Usually, iDevices are always online but computers are not always online. Nevertheless, verification codes will only be sent to your trusted devices. Here are more links of trusted devices, since I do not know if you've read them:

Change Trusted Device list for your Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

4 Ways to Change the Trusted Number for Your Apple ID on iPhone or iPad

About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you still have problems with 2FA, then you may want to call Apple Support:

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Jun 29, 2020 10:12 AM in response to TampaFred

If you are using a trusted device, the code normally isn't necessary. From the article I posted above.

Verification codes

A verification code is a temporary code sent to your trusted device or phone number when you sign in to a new device or browser with your Apple ID. You can also get a verification code from Settings on your trusted device.

If a code is required, since you have your landline as a trusted number, if you sign into iCloud and a code is required, it should automatically be sent to your landline. You would then enter the code in a box on the computer.

Jun 28, 2020 12:13 PM in response to Kappy

I have setup 2FA and my only Mac device (an iMac) is trusted device. Email and landline already verified. Trying to do three things: 1) Get iMac authorized to get verification codes even if offline; 2) Get verification code to ICloud (for what reason I'm not sure, but whatever: and, 3) Determine how I can find Settings on trusted devices (my iMac. If you could help it would be great. I've read 12+ Apple instructional for past week especially 2FA for Apple ID, which I've numerous times. More confusing than helpful. If I understood them, I couldn't be on this community board.

Jun 28, 2020 12:15 PM in response to Kappy

I have setup 2FA and my only Mac device (an iMac) is trusted device. Email and landline already verified. Trying to do three things: 1) Get iMac authorized to get verification codes even if offline; 2) Get verification code to ICloud (for what reason I'm not sure, but whatever: and, 3) Determine how I can find Settings on trusted devices (my iMac. If you could help it would be great. I've read 12+ Apple instructional for past week especially 2FA for Apple ID, which I've numerous times. More confusing than helpful. If I understood them, I couldn't be on this community board.

Jun 29, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. I have a landline and an iMac, that's it, which are both confirmed trusted advices, plus my user and recovery emails are verified, so I have no way of adding another trusted device even if necessary. Correct me, if I'm misunderstanding.

Mac offline issue has been resolved. Still haven't figured out if verification code for iCloud is necessary, or how to get or post it if it is. Google can't confirm or deny.

Not in Apple Care. Read all your referenced Apple instructions plus several others many times. Raise more questions than answer, which brought me to the Apple community board.

2FA Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.