Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanning software for Epson flatbed scanner . Catalina.

I use an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo on a mac currently using macOS10.14.6 Mojave. I am anxious to upgrade the software to 64 bit. Running on macOS10.15 Catalina. My current driver is 32 bit and the recommended 64 bit driver is ICA driver 5.8.8. I am concerned that I may lose some scanning functions (possibly 35mm slide scanning +ve and -ve film scanning when making the change. Please confirm that I will not lose any functions.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 12:06 AM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2020 6:19 AM in response to ZL3

ICA stands for Image Capture Architecture, so it sounds like Epson is dumping you off to Image Capture.

It is a very basic scanning utility, but it should work in Mojave, also. Install the driver, then open Image Capture and see what options you have.

I don't imagine it will remove the Epson software, but make sure you can reinstall that.

Jun 29, 2020 7:31 AM in response to ZL3

As mentioned, the VueScan software supports flatbed and film scanning on this device without any Epson drivers or software necessary. VueScan is 64-bit software, and its modest cost is recovered by continuing to use your device without vendor dependency, or hardware replacement.

I purchased VueScan Professional in 2010 for use with a Canon scanner that at that time was unsupported by Canon, and I still use that scanner with VueScan. I have never paid for a VueScan upgrade since purchase. I am not financially involved with the vendor.

Scanning software for Epson flatbed scanner . Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.